Donald Trump (NY-R-I-D-R-NP-R) Has Twice Dumped The GOP, But Remains A Republican At Press Time
As he maybe prepares to possibly announce his purported intention to join the crowded Republican presidential field, Donald Trump may soon have to explain his bizarre voter registration history, which includes him twice abandoning the GOP.
Here is a brief review of the multimillionaire’s voter history as reflected in New York City Board of Elections records:
* JULY 1987: Trump registers for the first time from his Fifth Avenue penthouse. The real estate developer, 41 at the time, reports having previously been registered from his boyhood home in Queens (though his prior party affiliation is unclear). Trump enrolls as a REPUBLICAN.
* OCTOBER 1999: Trump dumps the GOP and enrolls as a member of the INDEPENDENCE PARTY.
* AUGUST 2001: Trump enrolls as a DEMOCRAT.
* SEPTEMBER 2009: After eight years as a Democrat, Trump returns to the REPUBLICAN PARTY.
* DECEMBER 2011: Trump lasts two years before he again abandons the party of Ronald Reagan. He eschews the GOP in favor of siding with no party. On his registration form, “The Apprentice” star checks off the box marked “I DO NOT WISH TO ENROLL IN A PARTY.”
* APRIL 2012: Trump registers as a REPUBLICAN.
As of press time, Trump--who turned 69 on Sunday--remains registered as a Republican.